NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

This week in 1971: Dr.Who



Yes, 'Dr.Who', not 'Doctor Who'. That was often how licensed BBC merchandise and comics had it back then. Even the Doctor Who TV series itself listed the character as 'Dr.Who' in the end credits for a while in the early days. And no one cared. 

Here's the Dr.Who strip that appeared on the covers of Countdown comic this week in 1971. Part of The Celluloid Midas serial illustrated by Harry Lindfield. Very nice artwork by one of the top comic artists of the day.

This of course was back in the days when The Doctor was a tall middle-aged grey-haired chap dressed in black with a red lining to the outfit. Wouldn't it be great to have a Doctor looking like that now? Oh, hang on...

Doctor Who returns to our TV screens on Saturday August 23rd! Don't miss it! 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you cheeky devil you. How I wish that I don't remember buying that comic...or perhaps I do at least the old alzheimer's hasn't set in yet.

Alistair

Lew Stringer said...

I'm only a year younger than the current Doctor myself so, yeah, it's a cool time to be middle aged! :)

John Pitt said...

You know Doctor/Dr. - after all these years I never even noticed! I always abbreviate it myself whenever I write it. The only thing I would insist on is he is never addressed as Dr. WHO, simply as "The Doctor" ( contrary to the movie & sweet cigarette cards!)

Traveller28 said...

I do wish they would (or could!) reprint all of the Who strips from those comics! I'd buy that for (more than) a dollar!

Lew Stringer said...

About 20 years ago Marvel UK reprinted all the Pertwee strips in Doctor Who Classic Comics, along with selected strips of other Doctors. Worth looking out for on eBay, but I don't know how much they go for now,

Traveller28 said...

Cheers Lew, will keep an eye out for those. I'd love to see reprints of the Baker and Troughton ones too :D

Lew Stringer said...

Some 2nd Doctor strips from TV Comic were definitely reprinted in Doctor Who Classic Comics. Not sure if they reprinted any Baker TV Comic ones though, but the 4th Doctor strips from Doctor Who Weekly are all available in trade paperbacks published by Panini.

Traveller28 said...

Thanks again! I have most of the DWM reprints and the Dave Gibbons supersize HC from IDW which is just luxurious (well, as luxurious as a book can be!).

BTW, props in the strip in Doctor Who Magazine this month, splendid stuff my good sir :)

Lew Stringer said...

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...